4 Easy French Apple Recipes
4 French Apple recipes
- Boil in 1 quart of new milk 1 pound scraped French chocolate and 6 ounces of white sugar.
- Beat the yolks of 6 eggs and the whites of 2.
- When the chocolate has come to a boil, take off of fire; add the eggs, stirring well.
- At the bottom of a deep dish place a good layer of pulped apple, sweetened to taste; season with cinnamon.
- Pour chocolate over it and place the dish on a saucepan of boiling water.
- When the cream is set firmly it is done.
- Sift powdered sugar over it, and glaze with a red hot shovel.
- Pare and core 2 dozen full-grown apples;
- put in a saucepan with water enough to cover them;
- boil to a pulp, mash with a spoon till smooth, and to every pint of fruit put half pound of white sugar;
- boil again 1 hour; skim, if necessary. When cold put in preserving jars.
- Fourteen apples peeled, cored, and sliced;
- 1½ pints flour,
- 1 teaspoonful baking-powder,
- 1 cupful sugar,
- ½ cupful butter, 1 cupful milk,
- large pinch of salt.
Sift the flour with the powder and salt; rub in the butter, cold; add the milk, and mix into a dough as for tea-biscuits; with it line a shallow stewpan to within two inches of the bottom. Pour in 1½ cupfuls water, the apples and sugar; wet the edges, and cover with the rest of the dough; then place it in a moderate oven till the apples are cooked; then remove it from the oven; cut the top crust in four equal parts; dish the apples; lay on them the pieces of side crust cut in diamonds, and the pieces of top crust on a plate. Serve with cream.
- Take 6 large apples and chop very fine,
- grate the inside of a stale loaf of bread into crumbs,
- grate half a nutmeg,
- take a three-pint tin pudding-pan,
- line it thickly with thin-sliced buttered bread, a layer of bread crumbs, a layer of apples, and a layer of butter, composed of small pieces;
- continue to add till the pan is packed very tight—make the last layer of butter and sugar.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven two hours; serve with cream sauce. Put sugar in every layer.